Search The Moore Family

Sunday, November 16, 2008

*sigh*

Today, I sat down at my computer, ready to write a profound blog entry. If not profound, it certainly would have been of higher quality than that of my regular posts. Or photos of my boys...whatever you want to call them.

I never really intended this entire blog to be about the boys. I had visions of writing out thoughts, ideas, ponderings, musings...things not of boyhood, basically. But the boys had another plan for my blogs. It seems that every time I want to write something of heft, one kid or another desperately needs something from me. Not Daddy. From me.

An example taken from today. I was on "break" and decided to finally blog about the Obama election. I have this partially-formed thought that had something to do with how amazing & bizarre it was to see the throngs of people celebrating Obama's election. Frequently, on the news, you see stories of countries who have been liberated from one form of tyranny or another; they always show thousands of people in a group, crying, celebrating, hugging one another. While watching those scenes I am always happy for that group of people but, until the Obama election, I have never, ever been able to understand what they were feeling. Now I do.

Like I said, it is only a partially-formed thought. ;o)

So, I sit down and am ready to type. Keaton takes that opportunity to ask me what we'll do tomorrow. Here is a paraphrased example of our conversation. I am not adding anything that he said, though I am probably leaving out some things he said. Probably leaving out loads of things he said because, boy, did that kid say a lot!

K: Mom, what are we going to do tomorrow?
M: I'm not sure. We don't have to do anything.
K: Maybe we could go to a park and play.
M: If it isn't raining we may just do that.
K: But if it is raining we could go jump in puddles! I love mud puddles!
M: We'll have to see. Would you let me type now?
K: (completely ignoring my request) I love jumping in puddles. I want to make mud angels tomorrow! I love to make mud angels and snow angels and M&M angels and rock angels. Oh! What if we made soup angels?
M: You would get all wet, silly.
K: I wish you could make me into a soup and eat me all up.
M: You hate carrots and peas and celery and you would make a terrible soup!
K: (without taking a breath) Austin Powers' mom dies in the movie.
M: Huh??
K: Her bones get all broken up. And so she dies. And then Austin Powers gets a new girlfriend. And then Dr. Evil comes in and opens a door and finds Mini Me and they sing a silly song...something about "just the two of us, we can make it if we try, just the two of us, you and I". (For that last part he makes his voice very, very low. Really gets into the part.) Mom, can you see my hands?
M: No.
K: Can you see my legs?
M: No.

K: Can you see my other eye?
M: No.

K: Can you see my mouth?
M: No. Can we please play a new game? How about the game where you go play with Daddy?

K: I spy with my little eye...Hey, which day was that picture taken? Daddy has a picture with all the bridges in Portland, on the other earth where we used to live.
M: Um-hmm.
K: Sully didn't eat all his dinner. Look! A red dino! The dino is leaving red mud puddles on the plate. Stomp, stomp, stomp.

Soooo...I guess the conversation did sort of, in a very roundabout kind of way, come full circle. And maybe now you understand why my brain is mush and all I can manage to do is post pictures of my boys. I am, at this time in my life, incapable of intelligent thought.

No comments: