Search The Moore Family

Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Venting


Since May of 2007, I have been a paid poster (titled forum seeder) on a local moms website. It was called MidValleyMoms but recently changed to MomsLikeMe. The job was advertised in the paper and on the local paper's website. This was nothing secret.


So I posted about ten things a week and was paid $25 a week. I would like to point out that this is much less than I make in an hour when working as a nurse. I obviously did not do this for the money. I liked the participation and support and it made me participate in my local community.


When MVM switched to MLM, the entire site changed. It was hard to maneuver, difficult to find where things were posted, and the site was incredibly slow. Some moms were complaining and complaining about that...ad nauseum...and it led to an incredibly negative tone of the whole site. These moms were apparently kicked off the site sometime last week, though I am unsure what they did to get kicked off.


This fiasco turned into some moms starting their own site and inviting only those moms (from MLM) that they liked. I was invited but couldn't get access to the site. Today I found out why, via a negative email. Forum seeders were apparently news to these newly angry moms and so they decided to sling doo-doo at us. They accused us of being told what to post, being told when/how to post, and that we were helping to collect demographic data on the local moms. LOL. Like I have the time or the interest for that. Pure paranoia.


So...I've quit that scene. I ended my involvement as of today and I posted, for the whole world to see, an explanation of what exactly a forum seeder is, that they are paid a pittance, and that I will no longer be a member of that site.


Mostly I am annoyed that I am annoyed. This means nothing to me in the long run, right? So I lose a hundred bucks a month. So what. But I think I'm annoyed that people think I had an ulterior motive. That is so not my style that I am really offended by that. I always kept my posts positive and tried to post interesting topics. Grrrrr.


And, now that I'm done venting, here's a cute pic of Sully from today. It was really blurry so I had to make it b&w.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bah! Stupid people! If they are that concerned about being profiled and tracked and everything else they need to stay off the damn computer. In fact, I think they need to stay off of it anyway. When most of your interactions with people are through your computer monitor, there is something wrong with your life. Your world becomes smaller and YOU become smaller and I don't mean in a good way. ;o) I'm sorry you're gonna lose the cash but you are better off without the stress.

Marilyn said...

Anyone who knows you at all would know you are not a "backstabbing" kind of person. I am glad that you don't have to deal with people like that anymore.

I sent you an e-mail of Natalie's blog for today. It was hilarious! Neither you nor Natalie would give this day an "A+".

Cute picture of Sully.