Search The Moore Family

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Easter

We hosted an egg hunt the day before Easter, but I didn't take one picture of the kids hunting for their eggs. It was absolutely pouring rain and I didn't want to chance the camera getting soaked. And, honestly, sometimes I get tired of being "the lady with the camera" so I put it down. I do wish I'd taken some pics...but there is always next year.

All the egg hunts we've attended have really & truly sucked. The first "walking" year, we took Keats to a really cool place thinking that they'd have a fun egg hunt. Wrong wrong wrong! That place was a historic old lodge, up in the forests near Mt. Hood. They make their own beer & wine. They rent out rooms without private bathrooms. They have live bands play in "The Little Red Shack" which is, really, a little red shack. Anyhoo, before I digress too much, the hunt was a joke! They just threw buckets of candy into the lawn and had the kids fight for it. No joke. Keats was, what, 14 months....had zero fun.

So, after trying other events (one was indoors and they underestimated by nearly 500 kids so ran out of candy & prizes immediately) I decided I will host my own egg hunt each year, at least while the kids are into it. We don't exchange Christmas gifts with our friends' kids, so I do this. It has been fun both times. Hopefully I'll get better at is as we go along.

The night after the hunt, Keats said to me, "I am so excited to hunt for eggs in the morning and then find my Easter basket!" The problem, you ask? I didn't have eggs for them to hunt. I figured Saturday was enough...but then realized they were expecting the actual Easter Bunny to show up and hide eggs...so if I wanted Keats to continue to believe, I had to hide some eggs. I went to a little convenience store at nearly midnight and bought mini-Oreos and some gummy candies to put in their eggs. Then I came home, cleaned up some eggs they'd used for the Saturday hunt, and filled them up. Then I hid seven for each boy, inside the house! No way was I going out in the rain at one a.m. to hide eggs!

Here, Keats finally found the last egg. He was very happy, as you can see!

Sully just started throwing the candy in his mouth as fast as his little bitty fingers could perform the task!

Sully's Easter "basket". I bought big sand buckets and filled them up. I like to be able to reuse packaging!

Here is Sully finding his basket. I pretty much had to grab his head and point it towards the basket...he was standing right next to it for about 30 seconds before he realized it was there.

Keats had no trouble finding his basket. No trouble at all...

No comments: