Search The Moore Family

Thursday, March 12, 2009

OMSI

I decided to take the boys to OMSI...something I will probably never do by myself again. Wow! I cannot believe how difficult it was to keep and eye on two kids running in opposite directions. We survived, though, completely intact.
We spent most of the time in the water area. The boys put on rubber boots & smocks, courtesty of the museum, and had a blast in the water. The blue area is more active with gears & things to allow kids the chance to learn how to move water; the brown area simulates a creek or stream area and has a slow-trickling water feature. Lots of animals are in this area and the idea is to put the animals where you think they'd live. Mostly my boys carried water from the blue area to the river area via watering cans and dumped the water into the stream. :o)
Next we headed to the discovery room where the feature craft was water color. So, again they donned smocks and went to work. Before you get too excited, or perhaps I would be the only one to possibly get excited since I'm the lefty, Sullivan isn't left-handed. He was only painting with both hands for a second and the left is the shot that was in focus. Don't you love how Keats is painting such neat lines? He's always been a minimalist with art. He once painted a tile in school; this was something planned ahead & we had to pay a buck or two for the project. He came home from school that day just covered in paint...but the tile had to be fired or glazed or something so I didn't get it for a month or so. When I did finally see the tile I laughed out loud: all that paint on his clothes/body and he honestly painted about five very neat fingerprint-sized dots on the tile. ;o)
Keats found a friend that was as obsessed with anatomy as he is and together they tried to solve the organ puzzle. I had to help...especially once I realized they were trying to put the lungs into the skull...but they did most of the work and eventually it all came together.
Sullivan didn't find any alphabet to obsess on but he did find this numbers puzzle so made do with that. Human anatomy model looks on while Sullivan argues with me that the "7" is in fact a "4".
The Six Pack Man is PacMan with a twist: this guy's drunk! The game responds slowly, if at all, to show how your reflexes & responses are slowed when your blood alcohol is 0.08: the legal limit in Oregon.
The very same ear that Keats didn't want to leave during his first visit to OMSI. Sullivan must share the anatomy-liking-gene with Keaton.
Keaton and his beloved ear. :o)

1 comment:

Marilyn said...

What a fun place to go! I could tell the boys had a great time. I have never seen anything like this in Utah.