Search The Moore Family

Thursday, May 21, 2009

Catching Up

I have had a very busy week! I worked three 12-hour shifts this week; normally I work about three 12-hour shifts in a month! I'm tired. I have a new respect for the working parents of the world. Staying home with kids is far from easy...but, when I'm home with the boys, at least I can go potty whenever I want and, every now & then, I even get to sit down at the computer to mess around. ;o)

Our new patient tower, called the Critical Care Tower, opened at Salem Hospital. Yesterday was the first day that every unit was officially completely moved in & working out of the new place. It was pure chaos! In the old days, when a patient pushed their call light, a light would go off at the nurses station as well as outside their room. That is SO last week! Now, there are at least five different colored lights outside the rooms; they even alternate between steady & flashing. Each color and style means something totally different. If I see a green flashing light outside a patient's room, I know that patient needs to see a nurse; if the light is solid green, I know a nurse is inside the room already. How does the light system know if a nurse or CNA is in the room? We all have these little black boxes that we clip to our bodies that are connected to some sort of "big brother" system that is wired within the hospital. Since I'm a registered nurse, my black box is wired for a nurse. That way, when I walk into a room and pass under the call light sensor, a green light goes on. It is very scary in that "Big Brother Is Watching You" sort of way, but also very neato & high-tech. My every step is recorded throghout my shift, as is everyone else's. This is mostly to work with the call-light system but also just so we can see where people are and exactly how crazy IS this job as a registered nurse (or CNA, as the case may be.)

Every room has a flat screen TV with DVD player, and every room has a wonderful view of either mountains, treetops, a park, or the State Capital building. I wouldn't say the place is nice enough that everyone should make a trip to the hospital (as a patient) but if you must be a patient, this would be a good place to spend your time.

Sullivan's allergist recommended I buy him a MedicAlert bracelet or necklace. I found a site that specializes in medical bracelets for kids and bought this bracelet for Sully. He'll only need to wear it when we're out & about, like parties, parks, or other gatherings. On the back of the tag is his name, doctor's phone number, and date of birth. I have him wearing it today just to get used to it. So far so good. He's left it alone. It actually looks really cute!




The boys were watching some birds outside when I tricked them by yelling, "Hey boys!" and they both looked at me at the same time. These are the tactics I'm reduced to in order to get a picture that has both of their faces in it at the same time. ;o)

Keaton's front teeth are amazingly loose! The one on his left just flops around when he moves it. I anticipated it would fall out yesterday but it is still hanging in there. I wonder if he'll keep the gap when he gets his adult teeth? Mike sure hopes the boys inherit his gap. Lol.

He's just so cute. So handsome. Look at those gorgeous eyes! He tells me his eye color is silver.
Keaton graduates preschool tonight. His Grandma & Grandpa are flying in from Utah for the big event. Keats is completely excited and keeps referring to today as "The Big Day!" Lol.

No comments: