Search The Moore Family

Saturday, October 17, 2009

Potty Training Sucks




This is my life right now. Keats will happily take over for me at times...since he knows I'll give him a piece of candy if Sully actually goes potty and earns a piece for himself. Whatever. I'll take it...so much of my life has been spent in bathrooms since a week ago yesterday that I think I may be a little insane. Just a little.

Or perhaps a lot insane. I'll leave that up to the outside world to judge. lol.
The first night of potty training was excellent....except when you take into account that Sully holds in his pee. For a long time. Like 14 hours long. When we started this adventure, he would only let it trickle out. He'd stay on the potty but it would take about an hour to get a tablespoon...and I'm hardly exaggerating...or underexaggerating, as the case may be. ;o)
We went through an interesting weekend where I spent countless hours, and please don't take this the wrong way, literally staring at Sullivan's penis. Why? Because...he insisted that I sit in the bathroom, positioned directly in front of him, while he tried to potty. He called each little trickle of pee "bubbles" and needed applause for each bubble...therefore I had to stare at his pee-parts so I could be sure to praise each little bubble. *sigh*
Monday and Tuesday he spent the entire day at Melina's. She's potty trained a dozen or so kids and she is my support & back-up advisor in Sully's potty training. She is awesome and I have no idea how to repay her! She fully believes Sullivan is ready-ready and that is good enough for me; I think he's ready, too! He potty's much better at "Lina's" house, for sure. Since he could do it at her place, we knew he could do it here...but the control battle with the mama is a little (lot) bit of a hinderance!!! At Lina's he would easily walk to the potty and got faster & faster at letting out a full stream; here, not-so-much!
Finally finally finally last night he was able to let out a full stream THREE TIMES!!! between the hours of about 6 and 9. And he quickly caught on that he could get attention, and avoid sleep (which is his greatest desire), if he stood at his bedroom door yelling, "I need to go pee-pee, Mama!" He did this until about ten-ish. I got him out twice; the first time he was able to actually go but the second time was just crying wolf. I explained to him that we weren't going to play this game and that I'd be back in thirty minutes to take him if he still needed to go. He fell asleep.
Whew! :o)
His diaper (he wears the overnighters) was wet this morning but not the usual 15 pound (lol) mess that it usually is. He hasn't worn a diaper except during sleep for eight days now. Yay!!
If you are wondering why I am putting us all through this rather than waiting until he is ready...let me assure you: HE IS READY!! He has been refusing to wear diapers, sitting on the potty (unsuccessfully), having long conversations with me regarding all the people we know that don't wear diapers...and then he decides which underwear these people wear (most of you have been mentioned, and most of you wear Iron Man undies. Tee hee.) So, we were at this funny place where he is ready in a big way, but not quite ready to let go (literally) of controlling his potty. After talking with Melina, I am certain he is ready...but needed this push. And he is SOOOOO proud of himself when he goes!! The grin on his face as we would drive home from Melina's, and he would tell me about going potty at her place that day, was priceless and could be described only as a very proud grin.
So, he's doing really well with potty training. He doesn't need candy each time anymore, which is great. I have some gifts wrapped up for when he goes #2 or does something great like 24 hours of being dry, but for the most part, pottying like a big boy is reward enough for him.




No comments: